Wednesday 7 January 2015

Games from my childhood

I still treasure the moment I saw the first PC enter my house.

I don't remember if it was a 286 or already a 386. I remember it was around '89/'90 so it would make me...a 3/4 year old kid.

It was a strange machine that could do so much more than my TV!

Besides being able to write my first letter to Santa on the PC I could also start playing games!

I only got my first console a couple of years later so my first contact with videogames were the PC...with MS-DOS.

That mighty OS!

First I've played in black and white. Then it was zooming from EGA to VGA in a blink of an eye.

But as mighty as the OS was the most stupid button ever invented and put on a PC: the TURBO button.

At first you could actually noticed the difference between having the button pressed or not. But then it meant nothing.

It was when I got my 486. And then upgraded to 486 DX. And then to 486 DX2!!!!!

The the Pentium PCs came and all truly changed.

But before these last changes I've played a lot. Simples games, more complex games, huge games, short games...But they always fit on a disk.

We could put a couple or more games into a disk. Then we started needing 2 or 3 disks for a single game...when I knew I was playing The Lion King that came on 9 ARJ compressed disks!

After that there was the CD.

But, like I was saying, before all this there were such games. Games we could no longer play in our current PCs but the Internet is a world and it can go retro.

And if back then I didn't even dream about the Internet, it is the Internet today that allows me to re-descover my so loved MS-DOS games.

Software Library: MS-DOS Games

I'm still starting to scroll the site and I already noticed a couple of games that I've played and were quite the hit back then.

So lets see if I manage a playlist from the side, containing games I've played:

(with no specific order, but the scroll-down)
  • Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (my version was in spanish and I had 4 pages 'book' with hidden codes that you had to use a special red lens in order to read the code and input it at the beginning of the game. It was the security back then...)
  • Golden Axe
  • Bouncing Babies (I don't remember the game being that fast! I cannot play it in the browser now because of that...I cannot even see the baby!)
  • Alley Cat (my favourite level was the cheese!)
  • Lotus - The Ultimate Challenge (I've played this so much! It made me fall in love with the Lotus cards)
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Arkanoid
  • Jazz Jackrabbit
  • European Championship 1992 (if you through the ball outside enough times a naked woman would run through the field with a dumb cop after her)
  • Duke 3D Mania
  • The Lion King (the one I mention before)
  • Jazz Jackrabbit - Holiday Hare 1995
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Arcade Volleyball (my first 2-player game!)
  • Chinese Checkers
  • Xmas Lemmings
  • Brix
  • ...

And after these few I got tired of scrolling. It seems you can scroll into infinity meaning there are almost much of that MS-DOS games!

If you were a kid/teen back then or if you were not even born yet, you must go to the site and play the games. Those were the games were the gameplay was the main point and not the graphics. That's why they are so dear to whom played them.

1 comment:

  1. Miss games like Wolfenstein, Lemmings, and Golden Axe. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete